Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Breakfast in Fiji

Thursday, Hour Zero - I Awoke at 5:00am after quite a late night packing and made it out the door a little late (6:00). My friend John was kind enough to drive me to the airport even though I would miss his birthday the following day (Happy Birthday John!) - And by miss, I mean March 4 would be the day that would be surrendered to the International Date Line somewhere over the Pacific Ocean.

John sampling Mickey's Quokka Pale Ale at my going away party


Hour 2.25 - My first Delta flight left RDU for Atlanta on time and I had a nice time talking to an Australian who was headed home (to Mississippi) after a business trip to the Triangle. I don't recall whether he moved to the US and then started a family or the other way around but he seems to have become pretty settled in Mississippi. When I told him I'm getting married on Rottnest Island his face lit up and he shared some stories of mis-spent youth taking the train to the coast and the ferry to the island. Upon arrival in Atlanta I headed directly for the next plane (which was already almost fully loaded when I got there).

Hour 4.5 - Began my uneventful second Delta flight to LAX.

Hour 9.75 - Arrived at LAX on time and hiked from the domestic terminal to the international terminal in order to switch airlines and countries. Later in the day (about 5:00pm local?) I ran into another Australian and we had a good time drinking in one of the airport bars. He said he was moving here to be with his girl in far Northern California (is this some kind of epidemic?) and I told him I was going to Canberra to see mine. He was even more enthusiastic about a Rottnest Island wedding than the first guy was.

Hour 19.5 - My first of two Air Pacific flights departed on time. Not much to say about that flight. I tried to sleep. I did sleep. I woke up. I tried to sleep again. Etc.

Hour 31.25 - Arrived in Nadi (Pronounced Nandy) Fiji and exited the airplane to the sound of live island music (Three voices, two Ukeleles, and a guitar if I remember correctly) in the wee pre-dawn hours of the morning. (Here's somebody else's video www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMubeDVpSCk&feature=related ) I left the arrivals area, went through security and entered the departure side of the building. I bet there haven't been many shorter vacations in Fiji than mine. Technically I never even entered the country. Next time I find myself in that particular spot (just past the singers) I intend to turn right instead of left.

My only glimpse of Fiji

Once the shops opened I exchanged some cash for Fijian dollars and bought some breakfast. Bacon and eggs with toast and a Fiji Bitter (woo hoo!)

Nadi Breakfast

Hour 35 - The second of my air pacific flights left on time at 9am with me rejoicing at the empty seat next to mine. I would have a few precious hours without worrying about someone else's elbow. The extra room made up somewhat for the shrieks of the children on either side of me who were trying to outdo each other on sheer volume over the next several hours. Fortunately they didn't manage to break any windows.

Hour 39.5 - After a loud but otherwise uneventful flight we landed in Sydney and I cleared through customs with my mostly intact luggage. I met up with Anthea in the arrival area and we took a cab to our lunch date. I was thankful that I was able to steer us toward the best-lit table because that's where she finally got to see her ring. She likes her ring :)

Hour 43 - We got on the Canberra-bound bus and I punctuated our conversation during the trip with my best impression of a narcoleptic. The ride to Canberra went well and we collected the car and headed to Queanbeyan.

Some time around Hour 47 (8pm) we arrived home.

The stairs go to the house.  The roll-up door is the airplane factory

The view from our balcony

Garryowen Park, up the hill from the house


4 comments:

  1. 47 hours? Wimp. I think a couple of my Iraq trips were in the 50's or 60's. ;-)

    Good to hear that you got there safely! Get a freaking facebook account so you can stay in touch and post pics.

    Potts, OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're just jealous that I had beer with breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Great post, except we still haven't seen the ring. You sounded great on the voicemail you left. Keep posting and stay well. Now all we need is blog from that other Potts guy and one for the soon to be Potts gal. Mine is in production so take a look when you can.
    Love,
    Mah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, that was pretty classic.

    ReplyDelete